Match Report: Tavistock AFC vs Yate Town

Tavi finish the season off with a 1-1 draw against Yate, at a sunny Langsford Park!!!

By Luca Sperti

The match was the Lambs fourth game in a week after the clubs 0-0 draw with Bashley on Saturday, plus two mid-week fixtures at Langsford Park against Wimborne and Bristol Manor Farm. Despite playing on Thursday, in a 0-2 loss, manager Stuart Henderson made only one change to his side for the encounter, with Exeter loanee Scott Simmons coming in for midfielder Adam MacPherson. Yate came into the fixture unbeaten in five and started the game off stronger. It was no surprise that the first chance off the encounter fell to the away side. Former Chippenham Town and Bath City man, Nick McCootie picked up the ball on the right-wing before sending in a cross towards Calum English-Brown. The Zimbabwean took a touch before shooting, with his scuffed shot going straight into the path off winger Wayne Nderemani, but the former Paulton’s man shot was smashed wide off Aaron Dearing’s near-post. Two minutes later another chance for Yate, saw a acrobatic bicycle-kick from McCootie, just sail over Dearing’s net following a corner for the Bluebells. In the 13th minute, a half-chance for Tavi saw Jack Endacott break through the Yate midfield from fullback, before seeing Aaron Sainsbury off his line. The Argyle loanee took on a speculative effort from distance, but the 19-year-olds effort was high over Sainsbury’s goal. In the 15th minute a chance for Yate saw Calum English-Brown be played in on the right-wing. The diminutive winger, took a few touches before letting fly, but his shot was block expertly by Ben Cross for Tavi. Three minutes later Tavi once again had a half-chance, after Liam Prynn anticipated a poor back pass from the Yate defence before rounding Sainsbury. However rounding the goalkeeper saw the striker played out wide. The former Torquay forward sent a ball into the box, looking for Alfie Cunnigham but the ball was cleared by Yate defender, Mike Baker.

In the 28th minute Yate and McCootie were so close to scoring a wondergoal. A lofted through ball, from English-Brown found McCootie, who let the ball go over his right shoulder before smashing a shot with his left-foot from just outside the box which rattled the bar. Aaron Dearing in the Tavi goal was left helpless, however luckily for the Tavi goalkeeper the crossbar came to the rescue. In the 37th minute the first yellow-card off the afternoon was brandished to Tavistock Captain Ed Harrison, after the number eight pulled back English-Brown to stop a counter attack. In the 39th minute a chance for Yate Town, saw a cross from the right-wing by James Byrne be sent into the box. The midfielders cross looked to be finding Nderemani for an easy tapping, but Simmons did well for Tavi to clear the ball out-for a corner, from the penalty spot. Two minutes later a half-chance for the dominant visitors, saw the impressive English-Brown cut-inside from the right-wing before smashing a shot, high and wide off Aaron Dearing’s net. Very little happened after in the first half with the Referee blowing for half-time not long later. Both teams had chances but Yate were the most disappointed not to be leading at the break.

The first meaningful note off the second half, saw Tavi centre-back Ben Cross booked for a physical challenge on Yate midfielder Oli Jenkins near the centre-circle. Eight minutes later the Lambs took the lead. Centre-midfielder Ben Fowles made his way to the right-wing, where he could off shot but instead played the ball back to Harrison. The former Saltash loanee’s pass was just behind the Skipper, but the midfielder did well to lay the ball back to Prynn, just outside the box. The forward took a touch before smashing a shot hard and low into the bottom left-corner, leaving Sainsbury in the Bluebells goal with no chance. In the 59th minute, following the goal the visitors made a triple substitution with Finn Bell, Dylan Lewis and Dan Dempsey all coming on in the place off, Calum English-Brown, James Byrne and Lewis Hall. Three minutes later, the Lambs had another chance after excellent play by Fowles the midfielder made his way near the Yate penalty area. However the versatile midfielders shot was dragged wide of Aaron Sainsbury’s far-post. Two minutes later the Lambs had another chance after Cunnigham played in Endacott down the left-hand side. The fullback took his time before floating a ball to the back post, which was headed just over the bar by Iestyn Harris. In the 66th minute substitute for Yate, Lewis did well to go inside Simmons, before smashing a shot which was tipped away by Dearing and out for a corner. The resulting corner was whipped in by Lewis onto the head of Baker, whose header looked to be falling in before it was cleared expertly on the line by Endacott. In the 76th minute, Harris was booked for the Lambs after a foul on Dylan Lewis, in the Tavi half. The same minute saw Tavi make their first substitution off the afternoon, with Adam MacPherson replacing the impressive Scott Simmons. Two minutes later and Tavi made their second substitution of the afternoon with Captain Harrison replaced by George Newton.

In the 80th minute the visitors found the back off the net. Following a set-piece the ball eventually found its way to Jenkins, who took a touch before smashing a shot past Dearing into the bottom corner. However luckily for the Lambs the midfielder was caught in an offside position. Two minutes later, the bluebells did in fact take the lead after Jenkins picked the ball up in the middle of the park, before driving near the Tavi area. The midfielder was composed and waited for support, before eventually rolling the ball into the path of James Taylor on the overlap. The defender took on the shot first-time, smashing the ball into the bottom left-corner past a helpless Dearing. Two minutes later, a chance for the visitors saw Dylan Lewis cut in from the left, but the wingers shot was smashed high over the Tavi goal. In the 86th minute another clearance off the line by the impressive Endacott, saw the former Tiverton loanee clear away a McCootie header which had beaten Tavi goalkeeper Aaron Dearing. Two minutes later a chance for Yate, saw Nderemani make his way to the by-line before sending in a teasing cross which is caught by Dearing. In the 89th minute a mix up in the Tavi backline, eventually saw the ball find Oli Jenkins who smashes a shot from just outside the box. The former Cribbs midfielders effort took a few deflections before sailing over the bar. Moving into the 90th minute Endacott cleared another ball off the line, with this being his best yet. A Yate attack saw the ball eventually find Nderemani, who smashed a shot towards goal which deflected and looked to be heading in before it was cleared away by Endacott with a diving header. In the last minute off five added time, Tavi had a huge chance to win it after a Newton cross found MacPherson, whose scuffed shot perfectly fell into the path of Prynn, who took it past Dempsey before sending in a ball towards Endacott. With the goal at his mercy the fullback got ready to strike,but the ball bobbled just before impact, with the fullbacks effort sailing over the goal. Only seconds later the Referee blew for full-time for the final time in the game and the season for both sides. The result sees Tavi finish in 11th place and Yate Town finish in an impressive 8th place, after a difficult start to the season. Both sides will be turning their attention to another season in the Southern League, which is a credit to the fantastic work off the players and manager of both sides, in particular Tavi on a smaller budget.


Tavistock AFC: Dearing, Cross, Endacott, Elkington, Burns, Harrison (Newton 78), Prynn, Fowles, Simmons (MacPherson 76), Cunnigham, Harris

Yate Town: Sainsbury, Taylor, Hall (Dempsey 59), McMillian, Baker, Guest, Byrne (Bell 59), Jenkins, English-Brown (Lewis 59), McCootie, Nderemani