Match Review: Tavistock AFC vs Wimborne Town

Captain Harrison 30-Yard screamer in injury times gives Tavi all three points against league-leaders Wimborne Town, in an enthralling game.

By Luca Sperti

The Lambs came into the game without a win in four and knowing if they fell to their fourth defeat in five the visitors would be crowned Champions. Manager Stuart Henderson made two changes from Saturday’s 0-0 draw with Bashley, with Callum Watson and Dan Jennings coming in for Tallan Burns and Jacob Bowker. The Magpies looking to prevent taking promotion into the final day, started off stronger and had a massive chance to take the lead almost immediately. In the 1st minute, Tavi midfielder Ben Fowles was dispossessed in the centre circle by Harry Morgan, with the midfielder playing the ball out wide to the right-wing to Lewis Beale. One-on-one against Aaron Dearing, the attacker took his time but his poked effort just went wide off the Tavi near-post. It was a massive chance for Wimborne and a massive let off for the Lambs. In the 7th minute the visitors had a claim for a penalty waved away, after Jez Bedford went down in the box between Iestyn Harris and Alfie Cunningham after a mazy run. However the Referee signalled the game to continue despite outrage from the former Poole Town man. In the 9th minute, a freekick for Wimborne was taken short to full-back Oakley Hanger, who sent in a curling cross towards the far-post. The right-back cross reached the head off Captain Samuel Jackson, but the former Bashley man’s header was headed wide off Dearing’s goal. Two minutes later, another chance for Wimborne saw a corner whipped in by Josh Carmicheal, reach the head off Sam Roberts. However luckily for Tavi, the commanding centre-half was not able to keep his header down. It was one-way traffic but Wimborne just couldn’t find the killer instinct early on. In the 13th minute another chance for Wimborne saw Beale turn in the box before getting a shot away, which was saved by the body off Aaron Dearing. Only a minute later, another chance for Wimborne, saw a Jackson cross missed by Charlie Elkington before falling to Morgan. The midfielder took a touch, before looking to bend the ball into the corner-off- the-net. However former Saltash defender Elkington did well to block the ball on the stretch.

In the 18th minute Wimborne’s early pressure finally paid off as they took the lead. A cross through ball by Jackson from the left-back spot found Beale in the right-corner off the box. The forward knocked the ball down into the path of Jack Lovell, who from the left, let the ball bounce before rolling the ball into the bottom right-corner. The strike was the forwards 12th goal off a successful season. In the 23rd minute following a corner, another chance for Wimborne saw Bedford pick up the ball from just outside the box, before unleashing a speculative effort which sailed past the post. However just five minutes later, and against the run-off play Tavi equalised. Captain Ed Harrison did well to win the ball back in midfield before sending the ball to Dan Jennings, who flicked the ball out-wide to Cunnigham. The Welsh winger, sent in a cross which flick off Liam Prynn right into the path off Jack Endacott. From just-outside the box, the full-back smashed a thunderous shot into the bottom left-corner leaving Ross Flitney in the Wimborne goal with no chance. The goal was the youngsters first professional goal in senior football. Ten minutes later, another chance for Wimborne saw a through ball by Jackson goes in between the legs of Harris and into the path of Lovell. The former Bashley winger, made his way into the box before his shot was blocked on the stretch by Elkington and out for a corner to the Magpies. The resulting corner, saw a Harry Morgan shot blocked by Callum Watson before the ball eventually fell to Lovell but the wingers shot was also blocked by numerous Tavi bodies before being eventually cleared. In the 42nd minute another Morgan shot which looked to be heading in was blocked by the impressive Elkington. Very little happened after that chance, with both teams going in all square at the break, with the Lambs going into the changing rooms the happier side. Whereas Wimborne players and fans were hoping many wasted chances would not come back to haunt them.

The first chance off the second period fell to the visitors in the 48th minute, with Carmichael smashing a shot from distance high over Dearing’s net. In the 50th minute a chance for Tavi, saw a clever flick by Fowles in the box fall to Prynn, just outside the area. The former Torquay man looked to bend the ball into the far-corner, with his strike having to be tipped away by experienced goalkeeper Ross Flitney. In the 52nd minute great-play by Bedford on the left-wing for Wimborne saw the winger play a ball into the box. However, the former Portsmouth trainee’s ball was read by Elkington, who cleared the ball to safety. In the 54th minute a chance for Tavi, saw Cunnigham cut inside from the right-wing before smashing a shot at goal which was tipped away by Flitney. In the 55th minute Wimborne made their first chance off the afternoon with Ben Scorey being replaced by Matty Neale. In the 57th minute a big chance for Wimborne saw Dearing come out and clear the ball but the goalkeepers clearance was kicked only as far as the Wimborne midfield. Morgan saw the goalkeeper off his line and shot from distance, with his efforts looking to be heading in before it was deflected just wide off the far-post. In the 60th minute another chance for Wimborne saw Beale control the ball and look to smash it towards goal, but his effort was blocked by Ben Cross. In the 61st minute Tavi’s first sub off the evening saw Dan Jennings replaced by Teigan Rosenquest. In the 64th minute, Jack Endacott was booked for the Lambs after being judged to have kicked the ball away after the Referee’s whistle. In the 65th minute, Harry Morgan rolled Elkington in the box but before getting his shot away the defender did excellent to get in front of the midfielder and win the ball back. In the 67th minute Ben Cross was also carded for Tavi, for kicking the ball away after the Referee’s whistle. Only seconds later, Tavi made their second sub off the evening with the impressive Callum Watson being replaced by tricky winger Jacob Bowker.

In the 72nd minute the Lambs took the lead and what a goal it was. The Welsh wing wizard, Cunnigham picked up the ball on the left-wing from Rosenquest and took on Hanger sending him inside and out before cutting inside the former Dorchester man. The Exeter loanee from distance then smashed a shot into the top-left-corner leaving Flitney in the Wimborne goal with no chance and silencing the loud travelling Wimborne contingent. The goal was the fans favourites second off a fruitful loan spell at Langsford Park. Following the goal the visitors made their second substitution off the afternoon with Jonathan Stuttle coming on for Lewis Beale. In the 76th minute, the Lambs made their final substitution off the afternoon with Ben Fowles being replaced by fellow midfielder Tallan Burns. In the 78th minute great play by Tavi, saw Cunnigham find Endacott on the overlap, who sent in a lovely low cross which had to be cleared by Billy Walker out for a corner, to prevent Prynn scoring a tap in. In the 79th minute Wimborne made their final substitution off the afternoon, with Harry Baker replacing Carmichael. In the 80th minute Neale was booked for a foul on Bowker near the Tavi corner flag. In the 84th minute another big chance for Wimborne, saw substitute Baker run down the line before sending in a cross which falls to Lovell, who smashes a shot towards goal. The attackers strike looks to be heading in before it is blocked on the line expertly by Endacott. In the 89th minute the Magpies did equalise. A through ball by Walker found Stuttle on the right-wing who did well to put the ball across to Baker. Despite bodies all around him and Dearing just out his goal. The winger smashed a shot which deflected off Tavi bodies before eventually finding the bottom left-corner, sending the Wimborne fans into pandemonium. Just as the goal went in the fourth official put up the board showing four minutes added time. Wimborne knew that if they scored another they would be promoted. In the second minute off added time Bowker won a freekick after a trip from Baker. However only two minutes later, Tavi dramatically won it with surely goal off the season. Captain Harrison picked up the ball about 30-yards away from goal and took a touch on his knee before smashing a shot, with his weaker left-foot into the top left-corner over the head of Flitney, who was in disbelieve. It was a goal worth-winning any game and it sent the Tavi fans and players into pandemonium. Many Wimborne players hurt by the goal, started to take it out on Tavi players, with Jackson, Walker, Bowker and Harris all involved in a confrontation in the centre-circle. However the Referee calmly diffused the situation and blew his whistle for full-time not long after. The goal and three points are ones which Tavi fans will never forget. The result sees Tavi move up to 11th place in the table, whereas for Wimborne the tittle is still in their hands. The Magpies need to better Frome’s result on the last day off the season to win promotion. The Magpies take on Melksham Town at the Oakfield Stadium on the last day, whereas as Frome are at home to Bristol Manor Farm. Tavi are also in action this coming Thursday as they entertain the aforementioned Bristol Manor Farm. We hope to see you their Lambs fans there.


Tavistock AFC: Dearing, Cross, Endacott, Watson (Bowker 67), Elkington, Harrison, Prynn, Jennings (Rosenquest 61) Fowles (Burns 76), Cunnigham, Harris

Wimborne Town: Flitney, Hanger, Jackson, Walker, Morgan, Beale (Stuttle 73), Bedford, Scorey (Neale 55) , Lovell, Roberts, Carmichael (Baker 79)